L&T has undertaken complex mission-critical projects towards Nation Building in all strategic sectors. In the Defence sector, L&T undertakes design and development of equipment and systems as well as platforms.
L&T is proud to have been associated with the Design Engineering and Construction of India’s first nuclear powered submarine, demonstrating multi-disciplinary capabilities for Engineering and Construction of complex Naval platforms.
L&T’s shipbuilding portfolio includes:
- Frontline Warships: Frigates, Destroyers, Corvettes
- Special Platforms: Landing Platform Dock
- Diving, Survey and Research Vessels
- Auxiliary Vessels: Offshore Patrol Vessels, Floating Dock
- Interceptor Boats, Fast Speed Boats etc.
With a focus on modular design and construction, the major strengths of L&T in Defence shipbuilding are:
- In-house Design Centres for Warships and Submarines, equipped with the latest Design tools, including a Virtual Reality Studio
- Design and development of platform specific equipment and systems
- State-of-the-art yard infrastructure at Kattupalli and Hazira
- Trained Manpower
- Digital shipbuilding techniques
- Multi-site Project Management skills and financial strength
Design of Naval ships are undertaken in-house and we have developed basic designs of Interceptor Boats, Offshore Patrol Vessels, Corvettes etc. which can be adapted to customer requirements. 3D Modelling integrated with Product Lifecycle Management and other Design and Analysis software suites enable accuracy, revision control and output aligned with yard infrastructure.
Salient defence shipbuilding projects executed or under execution by L&T include:
- 54 High speed Interceptor Boats for Indian Coast Guard with in-house design and construction
- 07 Offshore Patrol Vessels for Indian Coast Guard with in-house design and construction
- 01 Naval Floating Dock with in-house design and construction
- 02 Multi Purpose Vessels for Indian Navy with in-house design and construction
- 03 Cadet Training Ships for Indian Navy with in-house design and construction
On the equipment front, the following marine systems have been developed and supplied for different classes of ships:
- Marine Engineering: Steering Gear, Stabilisers, Propulsion shafting for Ships and submarines, special heat exchangers, Thrust Blocks, Special Seals, Stern Gear sub-systems, Line shaft Bearings
- Weapon Launch Systems: Torpedo Launching systems, Rocket Launchers, Anti-Submarine Rocket Launchers, BrahMos inclined and Vertical Missile launchers. Dhanush weapon system, Fire Control Systems for these launch systems.
- Sensor Systems. Revathi Radar stabilised platforms, Winch handling systems for Towed Array Sonars, ATAS, ATDS, etc.
- Control Systems: Combat Management System, Integrated Platform Management System, Integrated Bridge System, Automated Power Management System etc.
- Electrical systems: Main (AC/DC) switchboards, distribution Boards, Starters, ACOS, Control Panels, Ship Degaussing Systems etc.
- Auxiliary systems. Helicopter Landing Gear, Replenishment at Sea (RSA) equipment, blast-proof hanger shutters, Boat Davits, special pressure-proof hatches and doors etc.
- Communication Systems: Special Modems, VHF / UHF Linking Equipment, secure quick communication Interface for interfacing with foreign Navies during joint exercises
In addition to Design, Engineering and Construction of warships, L&T offers lifecycle management and mid-life upgrades for warships, submarines and auxiliary vessels. The Navy & Coast Guard therefore secures total solutions from concept design to delivery and in-service maintenance support.